Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Red Bird

There's nothing like a new mattress pad, new sheets, comforter, pillows and a good book to make for a good nights sleep. And what a difference that can make on the outlook of a brand new day.

We are hopeful this morning that the MRSA news will be only another little bump in the road, not cause for backtracking. We are taking extra precautions ~ I have never washed my hands so much in my life ~ to be safe, and will wait for more information from Dr. Turner when we go to see him in his office tomorrow.

This morning I woke Parker up to give him his medicine early because he can't take the doxycycline within 4 hours of one of his other medications. I made him sit up on the edge of the bed for half an hour (as per the NIH web site recommendations so it doesn't stick in his esophagus and cause him to throw up like it did yesterday) before going back to sleep. I felt like Nurse Ratchett.

Anyway, while he was sitting up waiting, we noticed a red bird outside his window, jumping around in a bush and landing on the window sill. I told him it was Dovie, his Dad's mother who passed away about 12 years ago. She loved red birds, and the day she died a red bird came to the window and sat there with her until she passed. Since then we have always thought of her when we had cardinaItalicls around. Dovie was definitely one of God's most precious angels when she was alive. I've never known anyone like her.

After Parker got himself moved to the living room, the red bird appeared at that window, too, dancing around in a different bush outside, looking at us through the window. A sense of calm came over me and I knew it was Dovie.

She's here to tell you everything will be okay, Parker. She wants you to know. You're going to be okay.

Others can call me crazy, but I knew it like I know when someone is about to call me even before the phone rings. There are some things you just know.

I took this picture when I drove out to Buda not too long ago. This little pond is on the old dairy farm where John and I lived. I used to ride my horse up the big hill in the background, with Little Bit and Missy following me. I just think the picture is so funny, the cows are so funny. Sort of like, Great minds think alike.

P.S. FedEx just banged on the door and made me jump. A gift card to Central Market just arrive from someone who has turned out to be a really good friend. It's funny how things like true friendship weed themselves out during a time like this. Thank you Crystal! Just in the nick of time, too! SO appreciated!

No comments:

Post a Comment