Saturday, September 12, 2009

A City Set On A Hill

One of my Bible verses is Matthew 5:14-16. Years ago some young Mormon missionaries I had made friends with left it written on an index card on my door. I still have the card with the blue highlighter writing in Sister Garrelts handwriting, and I treasure it.

Matthew 5:14-16 "You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do people light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a stand, and it gives light to all in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven."

I am remembering that verse this morning while I sort through papers, cards, books, hospital forms, medical supplies, mementos, prescriptions, and carefully written notes from meetings with doctors ~ all the things that have made up my life over the last six months. I knew it would be an emotional day, and I probably didn't help by the choice of music I played while working ~ To Dream The Impossible Dream and Put Your Records On.

Megan, the tattoo girl contestant on American Idol, was singing Put Your Records On when I got the text message from Parker on that cold March night. I love the song, but it will forever be linked to memories of the night that started us marching through hell (okay in case you didn't catch on, those are words from Impossible Dream ~ Man of La Mancha, the other song I have played about 15 times already today). Interesting that I linked these two together, on a day I am filled with a mixture of joy, gratitude and melancholy, as I prepare to go back to Maryland.

I also listened to Miss Saigon and remembered the night I took Parker to see it at The Kennedy Center when he was ten, and we stood on top of the roof and watched planes landing at the airport across the Potomac River. And I listened to Les Mis and remembered taking James when he was about the same age, and how he fell asleep in the middle of it until the guns all went off and he startled awake and kicked the man's head in front of him. Those memories made me smile. I tried really hard, even as a single Mom without a lot of money, to have special occasions with them like that. I hope it made a difference to them.

So I am way off track. Sorry, just remember this blog is for me and my kids, so if I wander down Memory Lane, bear with me.

The point of the camel photo and the reference to that Bible verse is because as I have come to love Austin, I have also come to love the fact that this city has so much personality. For instance, the artistic guitars on the street corners. And the feeling of camaraderie among the residents and visitors to keep it green, clean and weird. The people who crowd the side of the Congress St bridge, sitting in folding chairs and watching
thousands of bats fly out from underneath at dusk. The way the homeless have no shame and love to have their picture taken. And what other city would have two camels walking up Congress toward the Capitol just to announce that Lawrence of Arabia was showing at the Paramount Theatre?

Austin may be weird, but it is fun and interesting and clean and it definitely shouts all about it from the very top of that hill!

No comments:

Post a Comment