Friday, April 10, 2009

Good Friday

Dr. Garcia just came in. Parker's vitals are a lot better, which is fabulous. We will clamp off the NG tube again and see how he does this time. Ice chips are okay, SMALL sips of water, but what he really wants to know is how the stomach reacts to its own creation of acid, uncomplicated by the addition of water.

Dr. Garcia said he will get the CT guided biopsy set up for Monday and if Parker remains stable we will get that done then. Yea!!!

Last night Dustin (Parker's boss), Jamie and Voltaire came from Parker's office to visit. He prepared for it all afternoon after the "seizure." He wanted to be rested. It did his heart a world of good to see them. They came late, but Parker sat up in bed and was able to converse with them for almost an hour. He drifted in and out of sleep, but even told them a few jokes. It was one of the best therapies he could have had.

Voltaire is Parker's friend and Dustin's roommate. He was raised in Houston, went to Belaire High School. We talked a little about Houston. He wants to start up a band with Parker when he gets well, so I will send down the keyboard for them in a few months.

After they left we had a VERY busy night. Our Nurse was called Joy, she is a cute cheerleader type girl who did a mission in Calcutta for her church and volunteers as a mentor for the teenagers. She's only 24 but was remarkably mature, well spoken, thoughtful and very spiritual. We really liked her a lot. She wants to go back to Calcutta to work someday, said even though she was a little afraid (couldn't go out at night, etc) the people were welcoming and grateful for her help.

The nurse assistant was called Red. He was about 6'6" tall with ~ of course ~ shocking red hair. He was quietly flamboyant and is reading The Shack for the 2nd time. He told me I stopped reading it right at the part where it gets so good you can't put it down, and that it gives formal religions a big kick in the ass while being sure, at the same time, that the reader can only come away with complete acceptance of spirituality and God. He left the book for me to read today, he'll be back tonight.

Parker asked me last night if we had a video camera. I said no and asked why, and he said it occurred to him in one of his dreams that he wanted someone to record the events of his illness as he is too sick and is sure he won't remember most of it. Not to worry! I told him about this blog and he was quite pleased. I started reading it to him today, at his request, until he fell asleep. He wants me to read the whole thing to him later, and said he was glad I was capturing the humorous moments, too, because he was sure we would need to remember them.

Martin, an eastern European physical therapist, is here today to start working Parker's muscles since they are weakened from laying on his back for a month.

Today is Good Friday. They will be very busy at work, but they are such a great group I know they will rise to the occasion and shine. My wonderful, cohesive co-workers. :-) Thank you for being there for me.

I am hoping Parker and I will get to celebrate Easter by his getting a few sips of chicken broth. That's what he is hoping for. Funny kind of Easter Egg!

1 comment:

  1. Nanci, I just found your blog. I'm so sorry for everything you all have been going through, but I'm so appreciative to you for putting the information out here for us to read.

    I do have a video camera that is very tiny, and can hook right to a laptop. If you want to borrow it for as long as you need, say the word. I'll be happy to ship it to you.

    ReplyDelete