Monday, May 18, 2009

Phoenix!

So many people came by today, looked in Parker's room and said, "Oh my God, what a difference a few days make!" Nurses we've had before, respiratory therapists, pharmacists, physical therapists, cleaning crew, doctors who are not part of Parker's team, the Social Worker .... So many people who cannot believe how Parker beat the odds time and time again. One person said to him, "You're a legend around here you know!" The surgeon walked in tonight and said, "I thought I was in the wrong room for a minute!"

Parker made great strides this weekend. He sat up again today, unassisted, for 6 minutes (meaning no one balancing or even touching him, all on his own!). His guts started working and the NG tube was capped off, the tube feedings started up again, without - so far - any bad effects. He still has horrible thrush in his mouth (part of the yeast infection from the picc line), so badly that he begs for water. Until late this afternoon he was only allowed ice chips.

Parker has had a highly emotional few days. Nurse Monica told us he will have to go through a grieving process, like he is in mourning. And the more he discovers about what happened to him, the more emotional he gets. We have been instructed to be honest with him when he asked questions, so last night when he asked James what the worst part was, James told him it was the two times they told us we were losing him. Parker was stunned by this news. I had sort of told him already, but he was more sedated and doesn't remember. James called and asked me to come back over to talk to him, which I did.

Typical of his sensitivity, Parker's main concern was that I had to go through that, to be told he was dying and to be here all alone when it happened. His heart was breaking at the thought. Somehow I was able to stay calm and collected when I talked to him late into the night about everything, even though I personally haven't been able to deal with it myself. It is amazing what we will do for our children. After some more discussion, we agreed that the best next step was for Parker to have an appointment with Dr. Burg, the hospital psychologist.I am his mother, and I'm too close to his pain with my own agony to help him effectively. Or without terrifying him even more.

There is so much to do. He still has so far to go. But his body is healing. His spirit is as strong as ever. He has visions of returning to work someday, of walking to his mailbox to collect his mail, of taking a shower in his own bathroom and waking up in his own bed. Of driving his car, and sending an email. And of calling me to say, Hey, I'm on my way to work, Just checking in. How are you?

No comments:

Post a Comment