Saturday, May 23, 2009

Saturday to Remember

What a blessing. To sit with my son on a Saturday in May and talk all day. To hear him laugh at Comedy Central. To see him eat a spoonful of soup. To hear him discover his spiritual awakening. To know that God has worked His magic and that my son is still alive, after all the odds were stacked against him. To look out the same window and watch the lightening tear across the sky, and see the rain clouds in the distance. To help him do his physical therapy exercises so maybe tomorrow he can try to stand up again. To hear one of the doctors, who we haven't seen since we went down to ICU, proclaim it really is surprising everything Parker came through. It has been an amazing day.

Parker asked me to begin reading this blog to him. So today I read just past the day of the surgery when the anesthesiologist told me he wouldn't be responsible for Parker having cardiac arrest on the operating room table because his heart rate was so high. I couldn't get any further than that. Reading from April 13th to the 26th wore me out. Parker and I both cried like babies. It certainly gave him a better perspective of what he came through, and of the miracle that he is still living. We've heard it enough times now, from nurses, from doctors, from everyone who knows Parker's story, that we get it. He came through incredible odds. He made it.

When I read to Parker the posting about James getting here on that most horrible of days, and how hard it was for James, how heart wrenching to watch him be so brave and strong, and then fall apart in the hallway, as I requested, Parker cried the hardest. He marveled at the change in his brother, in his maturity, his sensitivity, his dedication and his love.

I am so lucky to have these two boys.

Good night sweet boys. I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment