Sunday, June 28, 2009

Corporate Kindness

A lot has happened over the last few days. Parker is moving to the Rehab Center on the 8th floor tomorrow. Everything now is being done in preparation for that move. Catheter is out, NG tube is out, no more IV hook up, Parker is learning to dress himself including putting on and walking with real shoes, he is eating a post-gastro surgery diet of "real" food, all drugs are by mouth, and all the nurses are coming by to say good bye.

We were on such a high after we got confirmation that we were moving, and the only set back was the first night when he lost his balance and fell getting out of bed. It was incredibly scary when it happened because he still doesn't have strength in his legs to get up off the floor by himself. There was a lot of commotion, a lot of people coming to help, but in retrospect I would follow Lindsey's advice and not try to get him up until his anxiety had subsided.

The whole thing was made worse by a nurse who was apparently annoyed by the event and had the nerve to reprimand him, instead of asking if there was anything she could do to help him feel better. No mother ever wants their child to feel humiliated, and I was pretty upset about how that part was handled, largely because it was so different from the rest of our experience on the IMC Unit. But, we got over and moved on.

I went to meet with the HR people at his office on Friday. I needed to get information about getting COBRA insurance, and to find out about his being rehired after this is over. Since Dustin isn't there anymore we weren't sure exactly what was going to happen, and it has been a huge cause of stress for both Parker and I. Like a big, black hole in the future.

I can't begin to describe the feelings I experienced when I got there and was told they are keeping Parker employed until September 2nd! I think my jaw hit the floor, and I burst into tears. I am so amazed at how kind people have been and can be. Truly. You don't know what a huge relief is to us. HUGE!!!

Knowing he is still employed and has a job to go back to when this is over is such a relief. We really didn't know if anyone else would hire him after this experience. But to know his company is doing it because they WANT him there so much, because they have so much respect for him and his work ethic, that these are the reasons they are holding this spot for him ~ well, what an incredible tribute to my son! What an incredible tribute to the people at that company who are doing this for him! We are so blessed, and so grateful. They certainly know how to make a loyal employee.

More later, it is time for us to go up to the 8th floor and visit again. I am taking a bazillion photos of all the people who have been part of our lives here on the 4th floor IMC Unit this past 5 1/2 weeks. But the photo above is of Dr. Garcia, our surgeon. I wish he knew how grateful I am for his saving Parker's life. Thank you, thank you, thank you. More later.

No comments:

Post a Comment