Monday, August 3, 2009

Parker, Willie and Me

Last Friday we saw Dr. Garcia for a post-hospitalization visit at his office. He was amazed at Parker's abdomen and how well the skin graft has healed.

I was hoping and praying for a 75% take, but look at that, Parker! You got 100%!!!

Dr. Garcia was not the plastic surgeon who did the skin graft, he was the doctor who did all the pancreatitis surgeries, so he wasn't patting himself on the back with that statement, he was genuinely pleased and happy for us.

Today we had the appointment with the plastic surgeon who did do the skin graft, Dr. Turner.

Yup, this looks about as good as I could expect, so you don't need bandages anymore Parker!

There was only one other time in my life when I wished to have a camera in my hand as at that moment. It was the first of Parker's high school football games to be played after 9/11. Right before the game a minister said a prayer. Everyone stood and held hands. In front of me were two players of different colors, each holding a side of the same Blake High School football helmet. One white hand, one black, and a blue helmet between them. As if on cue, when the National Anthem was played, the first plane I had heard in ten days flew overhead. It was a stunning moment, made even more magnificent when I saw both those hands grip that helmet a little tighter.

I'm not even sure, if I'd had my camera out of the bag and in my hands, that I would have taken the photo. It seemed wrong. The moment was too big. Which is exactly why I could never be a professional photographer. Well, that and the fact that I take amateur photos.....

Anyway, the look on Parker's face today when Dr. Turner said he didn't have to wear bandages anymore, and he didn't need to see him again for another three months ... well, it was priceless. Better than priceless. After we left and got in the car, he put his head in his hands and said, It's over Mom, it's really and truly over!

So I took him to celebrate with a late lunch/early dinner at an Austin restaurant I'd been drooling over for months. Stubb's BBQ. Parker made the right food choices and boxed up half to take home. And we got to sit right under this sign for Willie. How happy could I be?

Now, on to physical therapy, emotional therapy, and endurance training so he can go back to work on schedule!

2 comments:

  1. Nanci, you and Parker are an inspiration! Parker's will to live and your pitbull determination that he should live - that's why he is here today. Blessings, blessings, blessings. Eileen Morrow

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nanci, what a great post, filled with great news, and on my end a great big smile for you and Parker.

    ReplyDelete