Monday, May 11, 2009

Slaying Dragons

This is a photo of one of Parker's old football coaches, Scott Murphy, who is now the principal at the middle school Parker attended in MD. Coach/Principal Murphy was being taped to the wall by the students he had challenged to raise money for charity. He said once he was attached to the wall and they pulled the chair away it was scarier than he expected. But it goes to show, you do things for your kids. Whether you are their parent, their coach, their principal.... we do things for our kids.

I'm almost afraid to write this because I am afraid I might jinx it. Today the Critical Care Unit manager, Francis, came to see me with her counterpart, Mary. They wanted to get feedback from me, since I have been a permanent fixture in the halls of the ICU for so long now (Sunday marked the two month anniversary since Parker first went into the hospital, and Wednesday marks the one month anniversary that he has been in the CCU.) Durung the conversation they started talking about when he moves to Intermediate Care. WHEN!

I asked what the criteria would be for him to be moved, because to look at him you can see his life is still being sustained by machines and medicine. Francis said the primary goal would be for him to be breathing on his own, without needing to rest on the ventilator, for a certain length of time. He would have to have been fever free for several more days, his heart rate would need to remain stable, and he would need to continue to make progress in his physical therapy.

Oh, I meant to start out by saying he sat up, unassisted except for balance, for SIX MINUTES today!!!!

I asked about the fact that he still has the NG tube sucking bile and acids out before they have a chance to build up in his stomach and she said he can go to IMC with that. I asked about the fact that his abdomen is still wide open, covered by a wound-vac with a drain coming out that removes the fluid so it doesn't build up and turn into Abdominal Compartment Syndrome (see post from the worst day of my life, April 14th). Francis said that is up to Dr. Garcia, the surgeon, but Parker might even go home AND return to work with that thing attached to him, draining fluid into a little bag he would carry around with him. That really creeped me out.

I asked about the additional 14 liters of fluid he is carrying that the Lasix is helping get off his body. She said no problem, they can manage that upstairs. I asked about the VRE bacterial infection and the fact that he is in isolation. No problem, he can be in isolation up there too. I asked about the three braod spectrum antibiotics he gets IV plus the two anti-fungal from the yeast infection he got in the picc line. No problem. I asked about the fact that we couldn't get a good CT scan, and she said she would look into that (because I don't want to go anywhere without a CT scan assuring us there are no more infected cysts building on the pancreas). I asked about the insulin drip he is still on because of the infected pancreas, and about all the other things that are wrong.

In the end she said it is up to the pulmonary doctors (aka: Critical Care doctors) and his surgeon, but there is a possibility he may be ready to make that move at the end of the week!!! It feels scary and exciting at the same time. It also seems unrealistic to me and I suspect Francis wanted to give me lots of time to think about it.

Is there anything we can do for you to help you with the possibility of this transition? Francis asked me.

Yes, may we please request a room with a view?

No comments:

Post a Comment