Saturday, April 18, 2009

Surgery #3

I saw a young woman standing in the doorway to this ICU waiting room where I spend most of every day. She was holding a little boy, a beautiful little boy, who looked to be about 10 months old. As she rocked her body back and forth very gently, he lay his head on her shoulder and smiled as he fell asleep. I wished I could hold Parker like that, and comfort him like I could when he was a baby.

He is heading back into surgery right now. This is surgery #3. The surgeon has to go in and put a piece of mesh in place of his muscle wall, mesh that will eventually be absorbed by his body. But because he is working so hard to reject the breathing tube, everytime he coughs he tears the abdominal wall a little more where it is laying open. Hopefully this will be the last one.

I feel so weary, but not anywhere near as I imagine he feels.

God grant me the serenity
To accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.

1 comment:

  1. I believe that you have most graciously exhibited all three of these regularly.

    ReplyDelete