Saturday, April 18, 2009

Your Pain Is My Pain, Parker

I went to see Parker at 6:am after another night spent sleeping in the chair in the waiting room. During the night he'd had another episode of anxiety, got his hand on the tube on the left side of his body and started to pull it out. Audra said that episode was out of the blue.

While I was there the respitory therapist came to try and adjust the setting on his ventilator. He had bitten the brace thing off again, the piece that keeps him from biting down on the breathing tube, so they put a larger one in this time. He started coughing, and the look on his face told me he was in pain as his abdomen tightened with each spasm.

If I could only take his place.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Nanci, I'm guessing he's completely unaware that he's doing this? I am praying for him, please know that. And you as well. God bless you both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nanc, if he's not ready to be extubated yet, why can't they keep him sedated enough so he won't pull any tubes AND he will be out of PAIN. It's all driven by pain. I'm praying for you, Parker, and your family.

    ReplyDelete