Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Tuesday's Looking Mighty Fine So Far

I was too exhausted last night to write, but exhausted never felt so good in my life. Trying to learn to lip read from someone who doesn't have a lot of strength to move their mouth is harder than you'd think. Parker had so many questions, I stood next to his bed for at least 6 hours trying to figure out what he was asking, and trying to answer everything.

Where's Dad? That was always #1 every time he woke up and realized where he was. I assured him his Dad had been here for a long time and would be back in two days.

How long?

What are these tubes?

Can I have water?

Where is James?

Why are you wearing those gloves and the yellow cape?

When can I have water?

When can I talk?

When can I get the trach tube out?

What day is it?

How long was I unconscious?

Do you have my phone?

Can you rinse out my mouth?

Does James want one of the green lollipops?


When was the NFL Draft? Who did the Cowboys pick?

What is this tube for?

Why are my hands tied?

If I promise not to touch the tubes can you untie my hands?

What is the black thing on my stomach?

How many tubes are in my nose?

Can you scratch my nose?

Can you get that thing out of my eye?

Why aren't there windows?

What are those machines for?

How long have I been away from work?

When can Dustin and Jamie come see me?

Where's Dad?


Then came the heart breaker:

I'm really sorry Mom.

Yesterday the nurse took the NG tube out completely. This surprised me because before they just turned if off for a day or two to see if his stomach could tolerate the stomach acids, but she came and took the whole thing out completely. Unfortunately, she did it right before they lifted and turned him to treat his bed sores on his back. He threw up.

They left the NG tube out, but for the rest of the day the left half of his abdomen stuck up in a weird way and looked even more grotesque. I asked why and the nurse thought something had shifted a little, but wasn't too concerned about it. I was, I fretted all day.

What if? What if? What if????? Tomorrow's Tuesday, that's not a good day for us! What if his bowels have shifted and the tube came out of the cyst and he crashes again? What if... what if... what if????

I took some airplane drugs. Just one quarter, but enough to help me relax. The last thing I needed was to make Parker nervous, or to ask so many questions they kicked me out of the room.

The second time they treated the wounds was much more successful and he had no problems being moved. Martin, the Physical Therapist, came in to work with him. Wow! If they are having Martin start working with him that must mean some serious progress!! Martin was impressed with how strong Parker is after laying in a bed for almost two months, and in fact said he wouldn't be surprised if Parker didn't even need to go to rehab once he gets out!

Once he gets out! Did you hear that??? Once he gets out!

Last night's nurse, Jim, is from Boston and is Parker's age. They connected right away because of sports. What this means is Jim talks about the Red Socks and the Patriots and Parker is forced to listen. :-) But Jim was one of the best nurses we've had so far. So thorough, explains everything, helpful, smart, but he referred to himself as a dork. James was standing right there and said, I'm a Physics Major so I know all about being a dork! They were instant friends.

Parker threw up again this morning so they put the NG tube back in. He was upset, but accepted it once it was done and asked if I knew how long he'd have to have it in. I don't know.

Today's report so far from Dr. Morrison (the scary Critical Care guy) was SOOOOOOO fabulous! He wants to resume the tube feedings even though the NG tube didn't work yet.He said, and I quote, All his blood work looks good, his heart rate and BP are stable, his white cell count is decent, he tolerated breathing on his own very well all day yesterday, he is doing remarkably well and it's just a matter of time and keeping him going in the right direction.

CAN YOU BELIEVE IT?????

Thank you God.

6 comments:

  1. Oh yes this is a delight to read, my friend. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. more blogs like this i say!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nanci, I'm so glad to hear that things are looking up for Parker. I continue to pray for him and you. - Kim & Sara B.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, wow! Tears of joy! Eileen Morrow

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! "It's just a matter of time." Who knew those words could bring such joy! I'll bet Parker ends up being a case study to help many others. The staff will remember him always. He's being such a trooper. So strong. So patient. Tell him we've all been thinking of him. Everyday. Every hour. Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  6. Keep your eyes up and kick! You can see those finish flags.
    -C

    ReplyDelete