Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Out of Surgery

Parker is out of surgery. The drain from the original cyst had gotten clogged and had backed up, creating another new infection. The surgeon drained that, and as soon as he did his heart rate dropped back down a little. He cleaned everything out and went ahead and took the gall bladder out while he was in there. The surgeon, who is always an optimist, said he felt very positive about it, and if it happened again he would be able to go right back in and do it again. This time he put a larger drain from the pancreas, so hopefully that won't happen.

Parker is still imminently critical, but he did not go into cardiac arrest on the table and for now is sleeping. The wound on his abdomen is larger and swollen, but over time the vac-pac will pull that together to heal. Let's hope. While I was back there they were waiting for the PT people (I would have thought that meant Physical Therapist but apparently not)to come and attach the drain to pump the fluids out of the abdomen. I felt uneasy that it wasn't already done because that's what caused him to crash last Tuesday. But Yanos, his nurse who we really like, promised me he would see to it they came immediately.

Parker's temp was down from 105 to 101.4 already. I am happy for that but find I am losing my ability to be optimistic in all this. It has been six weeks and a day since this started. Every day I say to myself, Self, if he can just get past this point, or that point, or if they just get this done, or if his temp gets down, or his heart rate stabilizes, then I will feel like I can stay at the room for one whole day of sleep.

But we aren't there yet. We've got a long way to go. Please keep up your prayers.

I love you Parker.

2 comments:

  1. Today someone, who shall remain nameless, after we talked about Parker and you, asked me how I was doing. During this whole time, my energy has been on you and Parker. For a while in the beginning it was hard for me to sleep at night. Unfortunately, I've grown used to you being there with him and supporting him through this. Even though I'm used to it, doesn't mean I don't care anymore. Every day hotmail.com is the first place I go on my daily site-browsing expedition. I go to check the emails from ponywriter to check in on Parker. I've told you before that I don't like calling (afraid i'll interrupt something), but you probably appreciate the calls and they help keep you "connected" to the outside world.

    Nanci, in all of this, please make sure you get some rest at times. Your body needs it to be as strong as you can for Parker.

    There is an outpouring of support here in MD for you.

    T.A.

    ReplyDelete