Friday, April 24, 2009

Tracheostomy vs Tracheotomy

I'm having trouble explaining the difference, but when I say he is having a tracheostomy today, that is correct. If anyone is able to get a definitive answer (not from Wikepedia, thank you very much) please let me know. My usual sources of info (NIH, Mayo Clinic and Johns Hopkins web sites) are not giving me the information.

Parker had a really, really good night. His temp stayed below 100 with the cooling blanket, his heart rate was 112 this morning, BP still a little low for my comfort level but I am assured I only have to worry when both numbers are low, not just the bottom number, and when his heart rate also jumps high at the same time. Makes me nervous just writing about it.

I am waiting for the surgeons to come see me, then I will go back to see Parker before he goes for his SIXTH surgery in 12 days. For real. His surgery is at 11:30 Texas time. This surgery is supposed to be quick and easy, but I have learned there is nothing easy about Parker's case, so I am nervous and hopeful at the same time. I miss him so much.

Please God, please hold Parker up in your Light and help him heal. It is time.

I have made a little friend here, a little girl named Sara B. She told me her name that way like we were at an AA Meeting. Sara B. reached out to me with a golden smile when she saw I was sad. The truth is I think she saw Critter and wanted him, but she was very respectful and solemn when I explained he was my good luck talisman for Parker to get better. She colored a picture of an alligator for me to give him when he is well. I have asked the girls at work to send another Critter to me and I will send it on to Sara B. when it gets here, as she will be leaving tomorrow. I will miss the way she smiles at me when she comes into the ICU Waiting Room every morning, dragging her pink blanket behind her.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Nanci- I called my friend who is an RN and she said the terms tracheostomy and tracheotomy are used interchangeably- they basicly mean the same thing. I could not nail her down as to what the "basicly" part meant.
    I love and miss you. I send you and Parker heaps of prayers overflowing with strength, courage and grace. Peace be with you Nanci.
    Let me know what I can do for you- is your home in SS ok? Continue to reach out to those around you and let them help you.
    Love, Michele Clipper

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joe says they are the same thing, might be a regional preference of words. Parker will feel so much better once this is done. It made a world of difference for my brother. You might want to watch/listen for mucus buildup in the tube just inside the point of entry. It will have to be suctioned. Good nurses keep track of that but it can be scary for the patient. Nanci, you have got one powerful strong son there. And he must know he has a great mom. Parker will come out of this with a certain understanding that he is so dearly loved.|Peace and Grace, Eileen Morrow

    ReplyDelete